Friday, December 3, 2010

Social Media, Myspace and Facebook

What's the difference between Myspace and Facebook? Which one is safer?

Some people see Myspace as the trashier, less sophisticated social network, while Facebook is for intellectuals. When I first made my Facebook page in 2007, this was very true. While in high school, I had a Myspace profile as well as a Facebook page. When I first joined Facebook, most of my friends were not on it, but almost all of my friends had a Myspace profile. When I entered college, this reversed dramatically, Facebook became the "it" page, and everyone deleted their Myspace accounts. What happened? Did everyone just mature suddenly?

What I noticed when it came to the difference between Myspace and Facebook were significant details. For example, Myspace allowed users to create any name they like, while Facebook doesn't allow users to create fake names. So what I want to know is, which is safer, Myspace or Facebook? It may appear that Facebook is safer, but in my opinion, Myspace provided more security and privacy. This is because Myspace allows anyone to be anyone. Though this may be unpopular now, I think that having the option to not give out your name to the world is a much safer route than what Facebook provides.  

No comments:

Post a Comment